Sunday, May 2, 2010

Weekend at the Coast

We went to the coast for the weekend which means going through Tillamook again.  I thought I would just post some images from our time there.  No motorcycle pictures because this was a family weekend.

As we came into town late Friday afternoon I stopped to capture "the cows coming home."  It was about 4:45 and they were heading back to the barn for chow.  I guess you could say this is their rush-hour traffic coming back from a day at "the office."

Above is one of the bulls. This guy was big compared to the cows. I would hate to see him in the rode at night when I'm on the bike.

Saturday morning I drove into town to get some goodies at the bakery.  I decided to stop by the pier to get some photos. I found a bunch of people clamming.

Here's a guy who caught his limit of Cockle Shells.  He'll put them in a little flour and egg and have fried clams for lunch.

Saturday afternoon we drove into Tillamook and stopped at the cheese factory.  This is always a mandatory stop when the grandkids are with us.

I think it was either break-time or shift-change because no one was working.  The big blocks of cheese in the foreground are cut into 2lb blocks and packaged for retail sale.

There's always a line for ice cream. It's well worth the wait.

Our granddaughter looks like she's praying for more ice cream but I happened to catch her clapping. 

Here's a shot of "Mother and Daughter."  It's our daughter and granddaughter as we left the cheese factory.

Our granddaughter and I took our bullmastiff, Zoey, for a walk this morning.

We found this woolly guy crossing the road. I laid down in the street to get some closeups. Of course there weren't any cars on the road at this hour but I did learn something. It's hard to get a good shot of a caterpillar crossing the road while holding 140 pounds of curious dog.

Hope you had a good weekend and were able to ride.  Oh yeah, watch out for caterpillars... and bulls.


9 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful weekend with family! I love these kinds of posts with the simple, everyday images from life. Nice to see shadows, which means you had some sunshine - Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kari. We had some sun on Sunday. Saturday was mostly wet but that's okay at the coast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike:

    I'm glad to see that you also have "family" weekends.

    As for that cow traffic jam, it would just be your luck to not be in that line "one day" heading back for chow.

    I was just talking about that Tillamook Factory the other day, and voila, you were there . My brain thought waves must have somehow been transmitted to you. Now I want to have a piece of aged cheddar.

    bob
    Wet Coast Scootin

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Tillamook cheese factory is one of our favorite destinations. Initially when the kids were small, it was a nice destination, then it was for the curds and ice cream. I just really enjoy watching things going on in the packaging plant from the windows.

    Thank you for the visit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bob,
    The cheese factory is a popular stop for visitors. I take it you've been there. If not, you should hit it when you come in July. The weather will be great then!

    Richard,
    Sunday as we left for home we stopped at the cheese factory again. This time they were working in the plant but I forgot to bring in my camera. When we were leaving, a dairy tanker truck pulled in with fresh milk. We watch how they tested it and began to unload it. Pretty much like a gasoline tanker. It was interesting.

    Thanks for stopping by and your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That's so much like the area we live in, including clam harvesting, cows and a cheese factory! Great post

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Geoff! NZ and Oregon might be similar on opposite sides of the equator. You live in a beautiful area!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, enough of the suspense. Did you go look up #108 again?

    Glad you had a good weekend. I was dumb enough to be working getting a new group of instructors started.

    It would have been cool to see a photo of you holding the mastiff while taking the photo of the wooley bear!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We went by the field on the way into town and when we left and there were no cows there. But next time I pass by on the bike and they're out, I think I'll stop and look. It might be cool to get another shot of her.

    You're a busy guy this time of year with the courses. And that would have been funny to see us out in the street. Anyone looking out their front window would have gotten a good laugh! Next time I walk in that neighborhood I should wear a ski mask. No wait, that won't work.

    ReplyDelete