Thursday, November 12, 2009

A Simple Afternoon


This is one of the offices that I frequent as a traveling salesman on a motorcycle. It might not look like an office. In fact it's "The Atrium" at Emanuel Medical Center in Northeast Portland. This is what I like to refer to as the Northeast Field Office. Before I started riding the Vespa last year, the car was the field office. This is a great place to have lunch and get caught up on things after seeing people in the morning. This office has Wi-Fi and food nearby.


This one doesn't. This type of office just flares up when needed. A spontaneous office needs to have cover over it as this one does. Sometimes finding a spontaneous office is a challenge. This office is simple though.


We have a complex called World Trade Center in downtown Portland. It's a group of three buildings connected with an A-frame catwalk and protected with glass. Tuesday I had a meeting with a customer in one of the buildings. The architecture is interesting but not simple.


A view of downtown before the meeting.


This is after the meeting. We call this "Oregon Sunshine" because it happens a lot. 


I still had time on the meter so I walked a couple of blocks to Lownsdale Square across from the courthouse. The rain had stopped. It was a nice autumn afternoon downtown.


On a quest to notice simple things, the park is a good spot to practice.


Before getting back on the bike I walked a couple of blocks to a bakery for an afternoon snack. This is not the bakery. Earlier I was experimenting with what I thought might be simplicity as I left Emanuel Medical Center. I managed to get a few interesting looks while doing this. In this case I think intended simplicity turned out complicated. Something to watch out for.


Just riding and thinking.


3 comments:

  1. Pretty cool to be able to use the bike as a business commute ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is cool but I think I need to back off on these kinds of posts because not everyone can spend all day on the bike. I don't mean to be flaunting it. It's just the way I roll now-a-days and I'm grateful. I know that's not the intention of your comment, Sonja thanks.

    ReplyDelete